Friday, September 21, 2007

Back to work - for awhile anyway

I’m back from my blogging vacation. Just needed a break, I guess. Thanks for the emails and comments wondering if I was okay and why the blog entries dried up!

Today is Friday and I’m actually going to get to use my adult brain, instead of just my toddler brain – something that hasn’t happened in about 5 months. I’m starting about a month long consulting gig that will just be two days a week! I get to leave the house in something other than a t-shirt, shorts and a baseball cap! In addition to making the client think that they have never ever made a better decision than engaging me, my goal for this is not to babble on incessantly about my kids.

Most of us have worked with or know people who are apparently physically and mentally incapable of talking about ANYTHING other than their little darlings, and who spend at least 50% of their work time coordinating the Girl Scout cookie drive or the wrapping paper fundraiser. Or who tell you every new word Junior says, even though his vocabulary is up to 150 words (guilty). I long ago vowed not to be this mom. But wait a minute… my whole life has become my kids. What in the world else am I supposed to talk about???

Here are some ideas for small talk I can use if the situation arises (that don’t include Kyle and Grant):
* Minutes before Dave and I were picking a washing machine to buy last night, he decided to take ours completely apart to find the source of the mildew smell. He found it and saved us about $800, isn’t that great?
* My dogs need baths and their teeth scaled, won’t that be a hoot?
* My minivan sure is a mess.
* Wow, it sure is hot today.
* This isn’t pink eye, by the way.

Definitely not as exciting as babbling about funner stuff like the game Kyle and Grant play where they chase each other around in circle and do what I call steamroller which is hurling their little bodies to the ground and rolling on each other. Or how Kyle likes to tell the dogs, “No. Peak” when they bark (no speak). But seeing as how they are paying me to actually work and since that’s what I want to do, maybe I’ll just talk about and fix the system issues they’re having.

And then I’ll come home and blog about how Grant picks up dog hair from the floor and tries to put it back on the dogs; and how Kyle is whining incessantly, asserting his two-year-oldness; and how my neighbors took home the kitten Dave and I found in our garage and probably aren’t talking to me anymore.

Enjoy your day!
Mary Jo

1 comment:

Rosie said...

OH we are talking.. but aren't answering the damn phone anymore!!! hahaha

Actualy he/she is working out OK, Frank's chip on his shoulder is getting a bit smaller each day.. he's more afraid of the little one than the little one is of him.. Their new knickmames are the scooter and the bus, if you look at the size difference you can understand why... WOW> Frank is HUGE.

We are having a lot of fun with the little one.. not skiddish anymore.. very sweet and extremely playful, much to Frank's chagrin..

So if Mary Jo calls and asks if you have a cat crate.. HANG UP.. fake a seizure, faint but don't asnwer the phone a second tome!! LOL