Saturday, September 22, 2007

My birthday

My first day at the new part-time consulting gig went great and I never even talked about the boys except to say, "Mine are 1 and 2", which was my part of small talk when the guy I was working with said his kids were 2 and 6. So I achieved my goal of actually focusing on work and not the boys!

Today is my birthday (36) and I just got up to cinnamon muffins (thanks, honey!), of which I just powered down two along with my bottle of Starbucks cold vanilla frappucino (how is frappucino not in Microsoft Word’s dictionary)? That won’t cause a spike in my blood sugar, will it? I’ve got to get this entry written so that I won’t worry about it in an hour when my blood sugar plummets and I pass out, hitting my head on the wall and knocking me unconscious for the rest of the day. Well, scratch that. I guess if I’m unconscious I won’t really care if I posted an entry.

I hope Dave had a talk with the boys last night before bed and reminded them that today is my birthday and that the best present I could get would be a day that’s only 50% toddler whining and defiance instead of the now-common 85 to 90%. Kyle is going through quite a phase and it’s wearing Dave and me out. Within 30 seconds of closing his door after putting him to bed, I burst into tears. Keep in mind, this was with me being gone for 7 hours of the day yesterday.

Hmmm. It’s 7:45 and Dave is still asleep and I hear the boys stirring. I wonder how I can get Dave up and sneak back in bed for a few extra winks. Should I pull the “but it’s my birthday” card? It would actually be a “but it’s my birthday and I know I got a full night’s sleep and you stayed up late to surprise me with muffins and spent all day yesterday doing laundry and taking care of the kids and you’re going to take me to dinner and a movie tonight, but it’s my birthday and my blood sugar is cratering and I just want to give you a chance to have the afore-mentioned discussion with Kyle.” I’ll have to think about whether I should play this card.

Okay, I’ve thought hard for 45 seconds and I think this is a card worth playing, don’t you? It’ll be another whole year before I get to play such an absurd and unfair card.

3 comments:

Michelle Smiles said...

Heck yeah - we only get "permission" to be unreasonable twice a year (bday and mother's day) so play it to the hilt.

Beth's Blog said...

i think it's worth a shot!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Girl, Happy Birthday!!!, sorry I forgot. Yes, always play the birthday card.