Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Goldfish and other guts

Here’s a very important exercise I need you to follow. Stand up and put your arms at your sides. Now lick one of your thumbs and put your arm back down. Take your wet thumb and stamp it on your leg wherever your arm is hanging. Somewhere on the side of your thigh near the top of your leg. Okay, so now you know the area I’m talking about.

I’ve been combing the mall and anywhere else I can find so I can scrutinize the upper thighs of moms with young children. Subtly, of course, as I don’t want them to get creeped out. You’re likely asking yourself what on earth is this nut doing, right?

I’m looking to see if I am the only mother who has the remnants of their day on their clothes, especially in that area. Am I the only one who has wiped mushy, wet, half-chewed Goldfish guts on her thigh? The only one who wipes drops of water, juice or milk on herself? Oh, settle down. I certainly don’t wipe everything on myself and I use napkins and Kleenex regularly, but what’s a mom to do when she has neither of those or anything that could suffice, and their toddler decides to give them said Goldfish guts?

Am I to frantically try to fling it from my hand so that it goes anywhere but my hand without regard to anyone else who might sit on the bench? I am way too thoughtful for that. Plus the guts would probably just land on my leg like gooey torpedo and then where would I be? Frantically kicking my leg in hopes of propelling the guts off me? I’m far too civilized for that.

So I guess I’ll either make sure I carry napkins with me all the time, or resign myself to dirty shorts. One problem, though. Kyle has noticed me do this and he decided the other day to wipe his grimy little mitts on my shorts. Maybe I’d better get on that napkin thing.

4 comments:

TheOilHippie said...

Definitely not the only one - my shorts/pants are always a mess. I even keep a box of Wipes in my car and usually remember to take one in with me wherever I go, yet still my pants are covered in an array of food/snot/drinks etc. Lovely....

Michelle Smiles said...

I'm with you. And not just my shorts - I notice bits of things on my shirt and wonder how they got there, usually after I've been interacting with other adults who don't have crap all over them.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH. I was just thinking this the other day.

Note to you: for some reason the yogurt I wiped on my blue shorts will not come out?? hummmm

My and Matthew's fingerprints are all over them and they did not wash out?

Rosie said...

Give your toddler a hug and wipe your hands on him.. Come on!!

Ha ha ha...

(My brothers used to do this to their girlfriends.. hand in the popcorn.. eat the popcorn, then very sweetly rub girlfriends back.. )