Saturday, October 20, 2007

Updates on the boys

I have blogger's block. So just some updates on the boys, how's that?

Grant - 17 months old. He is just a happy, easy-going little guy, with an adorable smile and hearty laugh. He tries to do everything Kyle does and often succeeds. He's the more laid back of the two boys and is sometimes my own worst enemy when I'm trying to get Kyle to share or not be ugly to him, because at least 50% of the time, if Kyle goes bananas over a toy and they start screaming, Grant will just move on, completely unaffected. It's not an I'm-scared-so-I'm-going-to-let-Kyle-win kind of thing; it's more along the lines of dude-it's-a-toy-chill-out-we-only-have-about-120-other-ones-so-here-knock-yourself-out.

Kyle - 2 years and 2 months old. I'll start with the really good stuff. He makes us laugh hysterically and is big on physical humor. Flinging himself to the ground dramatically after running around drunkenly with his chest and tummy stuck out as he’s drumming on them and saying, “Whoa, whoa, whooooaaaa!” Or acting like he’s throwing a ball at himself (he’s really just holding it and then touches his chest with it) and flopping to the ground as if it knocked him unconscious. I will admit, I have a flair for the dramatic, but I really don’t know how he comes up with some of this stuff.

The really hard stuff is probably fairly typical toddler behavior, though now that it’s happening to me it feels like it’s the worst situation in all of parenthood (it’s not). If I hear “no” one more time I might turn to clay (and actually wish I would sometimes). He freaks out when things don’t go his way or at least the way he expects them to. And then of course he watches to see how mommy and daddy are going to handle it, no doubt taking careful mental notes so he knows how to get us even more the next time. I won’t even get started on the hitting.

We’re off to watch one of my nieces play softball this morning and I don’t know what else. Tomorrow it’s out to see Dave’s parents to celebrate his mom’s birthday. Should be fun.

No comments: