Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween averted

It’s National Blog Posting Month and I’ve signed up. All I have to do is post an entry every day for the whole month of November. “All I have to do” is kind of a silly thing to say because I’m a bit intimidated by it and it’s easier said than done to come up with a blog entry every day, but it’s exactly the kind of challenge I need to jump start the blog again! Wish me luck!

It’s over! Halloween. I don’t like it. I don’t like the characters, the masks, the music, the cotton spiderweb stuff in trees and the like. I admit that there have been years in the past where I’ve actually turned my front light on and given out candy; the one thing I do like about Halloween is seeing the cute little trick-or-treaters in their costumes. Well, until some of the older ones get just plain rude. Then I turn off the light and console myself with Three Musketeers and Tootsie Rolls, lamenting about the state of our future at the hands of ill-behaved monsters.

The final piece of soul-searching I had to do when I was considering becoming a mom was this reflective statement: If I become a mom, I will actually have to participate in Halloween and mostly act like I enjoy it. If I’m okay with that, then I can start the adoption proceeding.

Fortunately, the boys are just one and two so we could get by this year without participating, but I realize this will be the last year. I will say that we loved the Halloween present the boys’ aunt and uncle sent – matching sweat shirts, trick-or-treat bags which the boys carry like they are purses, DVD’s and books. But next year, Dave and I will be carving a pumpkin (okay, Dave will do that), dressing up the kids and stalking the neighbors (also known as trick-or-treating). Although I am working up a plan to get the kids on my side. I really think I’m onto something. I’ll deliver the following bit of news in the most earnest hey-this-message-isn’t-coming-from-me-I’m-just-telling-you-the-facts:

Well, boys, it’s time to pick you costumes? What? You say you’re excited? Oh darlings I’m so glad to hear you say that – nothing makes me happier than knowing you’re excited. I’m also proud of you for risking the Christmas consequences that sometime occur as a result of participating in Halloween. Unfortunately, Santa frowns upon Halloween and sometimes there are consequences on Christmas morning for those who take part. Santa sanctions, if you will. I know, kids, I think it's horrifying, too, but I'm just telling you the word on the street.

I didn’t think I was going to stoop so low so early in the parenting adventure, but alas, I’m going to start playing the Santa card. Pathetic, I know.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Just hand me those kids I'll stalk everyone for you!! hahaha We were hoping to see them......... dang it.. OK next year.. you better be stalking us..

Did they the geese costumes? Ooo scary huh?

Blog month.. I need to check this out.