Sunday, November 4, 2007

My masterful toy sculpture

The weather was gorgeous here yesterday and the boys are having a sleepover at their Baba’s and Papa’s house. Dave and I are kid-free for over 24 hours this weekend! We aren’t doing anything particularly special or momentous like maybe we should while we have the chance, but it is incredibly nice to just do regular and even mundane stuff without the kiddos around. We actually got to clean our bedroom, hang some pictures, go fly Dave’s RC plane and go to a little Italian place for a casual dinner.

Another chore I tackled yesterday, albeit half-heartedly, was getting rid of some of the toys that seem to reproduce as we sleep and have taken over our living room. There’s one tub of little stuff that the boys like to dump out. That’s it. That’s the game. There’s no exploring the toys, no putting them on their heads and pretending to sneeze which of course makes the toy fall off. Nothing but dumping the tub. So as a unit this mish-mash of random unrelated toy parts and rejects qualifies as a toy, doesn’t it? But as individual items, they don’t get played with and just create a big mess.

So what did I do? Not wanting to betray these little trinkets that have given the boys at least 60 seconds of pleasure, I had to think of a way to preserve all that they have brought to our lives but at the same time getting them the heck off our floor. I got out the glue gun and the welding torch and made a toy sculpture that is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Actually, I tossed all the crap into an empty Huggies box so it can make a journey to Goodwill this week. But I thought about making a sculpture so that should count for something, right?

2 comments:

TheOilHippie said...

Oh doesn't it feel goo to toss the junk. I always love when I can sneak away a pile - my boys never notice nor do they miss what O toss. Now the toy sculpture thing sounded pretty cool...

Rosie said...

If Steve wasn't here to watch over his crap.. lots more would be going to Goodwill!! LOL