Saturday, November 3, 2007

Ring tones' slippery slope

Is it wrong for me to roll my eyes at other people’s ring tones when my own cell phone plays some sort of Asian jingle? In my defense, it’s just one of the standard ten that’s on the phone. The other one I considered was a jazzy little Hungarian tune, but it was a little too obnoxious.

I’m doing a consulting gig two days a week and I sit in my little cubbyhole minding my own business. When suddenly, out of nowhere, I’m thrust back to the early to mid-1980’s and Hawaii is on my mind. Yep, it’s the theme song from Magnum P.I. You may remember the opening from the show is a shot of a helicopter swooping over the water. Whenever this dude’s phone goes off, I imagine him flying through the office with his trusty theme music at his side.

So I sit and ask myself, “IF I were into ring tones, which one would I want?” And suddenly it becomes clear to me how perfectly normal, sensible people get sucked into the whole ring tone thing. Remember when you first started using a computer and you realized that you could change the desktop background, windows frames, screen savers and the like? Remember how you thought oh I’ll just change this one thing – it’ll only take a second. Then two hours later you emerge blurry eyed and drooling from testing all the options and backgrounds, trying to find just the right one that makes a statement and heaven forbid if you pick the wrong one that doesn’t fit you could be forever branded the loser on the second floor who has a picture of a Cabbage Patch Kid on her screen and ohmygod can you believe she changed her color theme to mauve?!?!?

Okay, what the heck was I talking about? Oh yeah – ring tones. I’m not going down that slippery slope. One minute I’ll be convinced that the theme music from The Walton’s is just right, and the next minute I’ll realize that will be certain social death. Now, the Little House on the Prairie intro… that’s good stuff.

4 comments:

Michelle Smiles said...

I got sucked into the ring tone thing for a couple of weeks when I got my new phone. SO! MANY! CHOICES! I kept going back and forth between the pink panther theme and the peanut's music as my main ring tone. Then I had AC/DC as my voicemail alert and and the muppets "manamana" as my husband's ring and a grease song (because we have watched it together 357 times) as my BFF's tone. Then I realized that I got a little embarrassed everytime my phone rang at work. And I realized it was kind of hard to hear all of those cute little tunes when my phone was buried in my purse. I changed my ringtone to sound like an actual phone (but one from my childhood with a real bell in it) and left it alone. Although my voicemail alert might still be AC/DC but I'll never tell.

Unknown said...

Mary Jo -- how's this... I don't even OWN a cell phone... (I do borrow my dear husband's every once in a while.)

So I have not been sucked in. LOL

I came over here from Antique Mommy's blog... I was looking for your award that you made up for yourself! LOL

Anonymous said...

My ringtone for my honey is 'Love and Marriage' by Frank Sinatra...hee hee. At work, the guy next to me has this ominous tone (and loud, I must say) when his wife calls..it makes me giggle.

I just found your site through AntiqueMommy - it's very nice. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Ok,so some of us have all different ring tones for most of the people we know just because we cannot see who is calling without getting the glasses out. But still have generic "Who are you" by the Who for all that are not in cell phone. Your ring tone on my phone is the theme from "I love Lucy" as all the laughs we have always had.