Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The mom who cried "Ouch"

I abuse the exclamations “Ow!” or “Ouch” excessively and I know it. Did the little boy who cried “wolf” have as hard a time breaking the habit? And do I actually wonder why my boys both say “Ow” 400 times a day, along with dramatic hand gestures? No.

To give you an idea, I’ll share examples that just happened yesterday. I seem to think these are okay reasons to exclaim “Ow!”:

* I step up two inches onto our patio and in anticipation of my knee hurting, I say it. I refer to this as the Prophylactic Ow. It’s my just-in-case-this-hurts-I’m-going-to-let-everyone-know-ahead-of-time.

* I have to bend down and pick something up off the floor.

* A fly buzzes by my head going 90 mph.

* I have to expend a lot of effort taking off a sippy cup lid. This doesn’t hurt unless I can’t get the lid off and have to put every bit of strength I have into removing it. The only time I should have to expend that kind of effort is if I’m digging out of a pile of rubble.

I realize that I need to stop this ridiculous habit but it’s quite hard. Pretend that for all the examples above I don’t “Ow” but I inhale or exhale. Can I stop that? No. Stopping my “Ow” and “Ouch” habit might be just as hard.

Dave still asks “Are you okay?” or “What’s wrong?” in a very concerned manner. I wonder when he’ll get to the shut-the-hell-up stage. I'd say 'round about any day now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL sounds like you need a new word...

Fly goes by and you say Ow? LOL

Poor Dave.. he's like Steve just too nice sometimes.. he'd be the same way.. sometimes we just want to be ignored..

He figures the one time he doesn't say it, you'l be upset because you were really saying OUCH for a reason adn not out of habit..

Old habits die hard.

Kathleen