Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Back to blogging!

Okay, so I’ve taken a bit of a break from blogging. A thanks to readers who have contacted me to ask if I’d been hit by a bus, kidnapped by aliens or plagued by a mommy breakdown. I really enjoy writing my blog and there isn’t a sole reason for exactly why I stopped but I’ve been thinking about it. I could just say, “I’ve been busy” or something equally vague and aloof, but I’ll share a few of the contributing factors.

1) When I decided to stop posting pictures and accompanying commentary an element of fun disappeared. I stopped with the pictures as a trigger reaction to a scare another blogger had when she found her daughters’ pictures had been used on a site without her permission by a cyber-stranger. Very creepy.

2) Some of you remember NaBloPoMo which was national blog posting month; the goal was to post an entry a day for the entire month of November. Well, I started November quite gung-ho. As November wore on I lost momentum and probably ended up resentful and rebellious because I had turned something I enjoyed into a chore. It reminded me of my success (not) on diets. I start all fired up and do great for a few days (okay, hours) and then rebel against the restriction and proceed to swear off diets and gain 16 pounds.

3) I’ve had seasonal depression for many years and the period from mid-November to February is often a dark one for me. A few factors exacerbated this last season and I was very unmotivated and blue. To be honest, this was probably the biggest factor.

4) I wanted to spruce up my blog but when I got frustrated with blogger I kind of said oh to hell with it. Very mature, I know. It’s not as bad as the time I couldn’t get the lids off the boys’ sippy cups and I let loose a stream of profanity then hurled them into the sink like a maniac, but in its own way it was just as admirable. Not to worry, the boys were in bed and didn’t see my display. Dave did and probably thought, “I wonder how much the jeweler would give me if I got back the engagement ring.”

So I’m excited to be back, having reminded myself of the things I miss about blogging. I’m reading some different opinions in the blog world on whether or not to post pictures and I may end up posting again. What are your thoughts? Is there much of a risk and if so, how much? Is it risky if no one knows our last name and where we live? I’m very interested in input on this!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hip Hip Hooray

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you up and running again, have missed the updates when there is time. Your witty comments are always funny and so I still get to laugh with you. Miss ya neighbor and we will get together soon since Spring is finally arriving. C

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear from you and LOVED the pictures, of course I saved them!
I ask about you often and hope you are doing well. I think it is about time for a visit!!!
LF

Anonymous said...

personally i would NOT do pictures but that is one reason I shut my blog down because your photos are kept on another site (pisca or something) and i had 3000 hits and i had to use a password to get to it????? anyway, in my opinion not worth the risk but some think it is worth it.

talk soon.

j

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, my friend!
~Leslie

Anonymous said...

Hip Hip Hooray, you are back to entertain us. Thanks. PaPa, and me too, love reading this, especially when we are gone. Makes us feel like we are still there watching it all. Not sure about the picture thing on blogs. Course we would like to see them. But you have to feel comfortable with it all.
Love you - Thanks for the blog -Sue

Tam said...

Yay! Glad you're back!