Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Fashion tips - 8/22/07

The boys and I just got back from a mall we hadn't walked around before and they loved it - very colorful and bright with a lot going on. It didn't hurt that they got to eat Rold Gold pretzel sticks as we strolled.

We stopped outside the Rainforest Cafe where there is a little pond with steam and a mechanical crocodile that periodically moves, opens his mouth and growls. We sat there for a good five minutes, the boys enthralled, until Kyle actually noticed the big mouth opening and the giant teeth on the crocodile. And that was the end of that - we hightailed it out of there before a full terror meltdown could happen.

I feel old and irritated when I go by clothing stores these days. How did t-shirts that say things like this become popular?
"I'm not shy, I just don't like you"
"I'm popular, you're not"
"I am so out of your league"

Here are some of my ideas to replace them:
"I'm a jerk and wouldn't blame you if you didn't like me"
"I'm popular but that probably won't matter in the real world"
"My self-esteem is actually low - I just fake it"

I'd also like to propose a few fashion suggestions for the kids as they head back to school.
1) If I can read the size on the label of your bra, your t-shirt is too tight.
2) If I can see the hairline of your nether regions, your pants are too low AND you need some underwear.
3) If I can see your butt crack or the tattoo you have that points the way, your pants are too low.
4) The world does not need to see your stomach.
5) Don't wear jerky t-shirts.
6) Fellas, pull up your pants.

Happy back-to-school shopping!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Jo you are too funny!! would you mind if I copied your comments and hung it up in the teacher's lounge?I know all my colleagues at our middle school would get a kick out of it. (I won't post any personal info).

Tam said...

Ah, yes. The most glorious thing happened in Katie's school district starting this year. UNIFORMS! Well, not actual uniforms, but uniform-like. Only pants (no jeans) and polo shirts. I'm so happy!

Anonymous said...

Pants and polos are a good idea... to much "fashion".......... it's crazy.

Drooppy pants makes me want to just JERK THose damn things off .. it would only take a tug.

They are hideious!

MaryJo said...

Absolutely, Leslie! Makes me glad I didn't lace it with profanity :-)

Michelle Smiles said...

I have some suggestions for the sweatpants that have sayings on the butt (a personal pet peeve of mine - the girls wearing them are either way too young or way too old to have things like "juicy" on their butts).

1. Jailbait
2. My daddy doesn't pay enough attention to me.
3. Future teenage mother

kristi said...

LOL. I hate those t-shirts too. Like it is appropriate for a 10 year old to wear a shirt that says, "I'm a Hottie". NOT!