Monday, August 27, 2007

No blinding sunshine here - 8/27/07

I don't have anything terribly amusing to write about so I haven't written anything in days, but I didn't start blogging so that I can be a laugh riot all the time.

It’s been four months since I left my career to stay home with the boys. Initially it was a hard transition and I was depressed, but around week 7 or 8 I started liking it. Then I had knee surgery which set me back considerably. I’ve been nicely mobile for a couple of weeks and yet find myself feeling very down, wondering if I’m cut out to be a stay-at-home mom.

I was talking about being discouraged to a friend the other day and she said, “I wouldn’t wish the age of your guys on anyone.” The boys are 24 months and 15 months, by the way. This gave me a lot of comfort because I realize that not only are these tough ages, but they are exponentially more difficult because they are 10 months apart. They are at ages where I’d like to be able to engage one of them at a time in something. Coloring, playing with a train, whatever. Everything turns into a competition for a) whatever the object or activity is; and b) my attention.

It would be great if I could engage both of them in the same thing, but given their different developmental points, this is a challenge for the same reasons I mentioned above. I do believe that this will get better, but right now it’s frustrating.

Grant is a very cute little walker. He still prefers to hold a hand, but he’ll venture off on his own sometimes. He kind of looks like a wobbly mummy – very cute! He can now show us where his ears, eyes, nose, tongue and mouth are, whereas a week ago he pointed to his ears no matter what.

Kyle gets called clown and monkey all day long depending on what kinds of silliness he’s up to. Jumping, flopping on the floor, flopping on mommy and daddy, climbing on everything, laughing, shouting and just making us laugh.

Okay, so after my first several paragraphs, those last two helped put things in perspective and improved my mood a bit. I’m still not the ray of blinding sunshine that I always am (try to stop laughing), but it’s an improvement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honey

You are alway a ray of sunshine in my book

Dave