Friday, August 24, 2007

What a failure - 8/24/07

I think I need to cancel my subscription to a parenting magazine I get. There are some good tips in it, but plenty of things I have found silly (and of course I didn't make notes or rip out pages so I can't enumerate them here). And if I took it all seriously I could convince myself I'm a parental failure.

Am I the only mom who doesn't care if stains set in on bibs? The article started with, "You need to presoak major stains on bibs..." Huh? I do? And all this time I had no idea that I need to do that. What kind of mom am I that I am satisfied with the bib being clean but don't care that the set in stains make it look like a multi-colored map of the world? Disgraceful.

And did you know that our kids need to see a dentist by the time they are one-year-old?!?!? That's the first time I'd ever heard that and it sounds quite ridiculous to me. How 'bout let's wait until the kids have a few more teeth, huh? Kyle had quite a grill on him by his first birthday, but there is no way I would have taken him to the dentist on his first birthday. I obviously don't care that my boys will undoubtedly end up little snaggle-tooth rejects because I waited until they were over two to visit a dentist. What a dreadful parent.

Not to mention how the magazine treats adoption topics, but that's another story.

I'm off to rouse the short people. Our friend Matthew is coming over this morning to play in the backyard. Well, I guess I'd better go get the backyard ready before the kids get up.

Enjoy your day,
Mary Jo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOAK bibs, isn't that why we buy them so they can get dirty and we don't have to spend our day presoaking? HUMMMM.

Now the dentist, my personal dentist said by the time they are like 3 or something. Matthew has 7 teeth and is almost 2, ummmm what would a dentist do?

Okay, Matthew is not out of bed and we are leaving in 17 minutes to come over to play. SO....this means I need to GET OFF THE COMPUTER and QUIT READING BLOGS and BE A MOMMY and pack his bag.

Rock on. Julie

Rosiernk said...

Bibs schmibs... they are a dime a dozen right??

Stains smaighns.........

Those parenting editors are like boses, in an ivory tower.. not down on the ground feeding and changing diapers..

Life is way short short to sweat some stains on a dman bib... that's ludicrous!

Rosiernk said...

My blog is kaput, but it did let me update my profile, so if you want to read my blogs, just go to View Entire profile and just click on my home page.. and then go to blogs..

This format is too user unfriendly for me.

See you on My Space!

Anonymous said...

Maryjo---a failure?? NOT!! I no longer read parenting magazines for the same reason I do not read Martha Stewart----I don't want to feel inadequate seeing photographs of perfectly clean, organized and age appropriate toy rooms, any more than I want to see pictures of food I will never be able to make!

All parenting magazines must be taken with a shaker of salt.