Thursday, August 16, 2007

My little yappers - 8/17/07

If I hear NO or MINE one more time I think I might have to club myself in the head with a Tonka truck. Nobody told me that something magical happens the day a kid turns two. I don't mean whimsical fairy and sunshine magic; I mean dark sinister toddler magic. Yes, I realize both boys have colds and aren't feeling their best, but let's not pretend that's all this is about.

These last few days Kyle, who turned 2 ten days ago, has moments when he turns into an angry little troll (or a small yappy dog - take your pick) guarding his bridge. His bridge being whatever toy or book or section of floor he has decided is off limits to Grant. Yap yap yap. And Grant does pretty much the same thing, so I end up with two yippy dogs barking at each other until I try to break it up and try to divert someone.

They've become hip to this and mostly will not be swayed. Then 1 minute later they are having a race pushing trucks around the house, giggling the whole time.

"NO!" has become Kyle's stock response for most questions or comments. I've tried to explain to him that his NO will carry much more weight if he actually listens to what is being said or asked before answering, but he hasn't bought into it. When we were in the car this morning he saw a bird and commented on it. So then I said, "Oh, do you see th.." "NO!"

At least when I was working people generally let me finish what I was saying before responding! Oh well - I'll take it.

Enjoy your day. I hear the little people stirring.
MJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mary Jo!!! Carlos is going through the exact same thing. I do have to say the "no" response has somewhat subsided. It started right at his 2nd bday (july22) so, if there is a light at the end of the tunnel it is that it seemed to have let up after a few weeks. We tried to just ignore him and it seemed to help.
Ugh!!!
~Leslie