Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I'm so smart - 6/19/07

Once in awhile I am reminded that I am actually smarter than my kids (imagine me patting my own back in pride)!!! I've been working on this but I think it's official. Because I have nearly lost my mind listening to kiddie music in the car like Hickory Dickory Dock and The Muffin Man, I've taken to listening to music I like and dancing in my seat and clapping just like I do when the the kiddie songs are on. At first Kyle didn't buy it, but now he actually says "More" when we get to a pause between songs. I don't even have to dance and clap anymore. What makes it even more impressive is that I'm subjecting the boys to country music and they're falling for it. I am brilliant!!!

Okay, so you're thinking, "Give it a rest; it's really not that big of a deal and I certainly wouldn't describe it as brilliant." But when I worked outside the home every day, several times a day I would do something or help someone in a way that I could think, "Hey, that was pretty good. Yay, me!" Now as a stay-at-home-mom I don't get as many opportunities so I have to grab them where I can, embellish them and then congratulate myself profusely!

Then of course there are all those times that I don't congratulate myself. At IKEA (a big furniture / home store) the other weekend, Dave was pushing Grant through the parking lot in the stroller and Kyle was walking with me. Kyle looked back and realized that Daddy and Grant were still well behind us and he pulled away and ran to them. Into the parking lot. In reality it was harmless - no cars around but we had to make a big deal of it in hopes that Kyle would get the message. So I became that lady.

You know who I mean. The lady you see from way across the parking lot and look upon with disdain because of how she's treating her precious child. You had no idea what preceded it, but you look over and here's this woman scolding her child rather harshly. Dave and I scolded Kyle appropriately (in our opinion) but unfortunately when I grabbed his arm he either lost his balance and fell or flopped himself to the ground on purpose. Either way, it looked like I knocked him over in anger.

So I pick him up and all four of us go into the entry way to the store. Kyle is crying hysterically and I'm holding him and calming him down. But I made EXTRA sure that my calming him down was said fairly loudly so everyone who may have seen it could hear: "You scared Mommy and Daddy. You can't go into the street without holding a hand." Most looks we received at that point were sympathetic oh-that-explains-it looks, but there were still some snobby what-an-abusive-parent looks.

Truthfully, no one probably noticed the incident and the looks of disdain were probably because I hadn't brushed out my ponytail that morning and had smears of wet smooshed Goldfish crackers on my shirt.

Gotta go - off to physical therapy.
MJ

No comments: