Monday, June 11, 2007

Mommy 112 times - 6/11/07

I can remember waiting for the day when Kyle would say “Mommy” and how Dave and I ‘worked’ with him on the mmmm sound. And I admit that I still love hearing him say it. We’re now looking forward to the time when Grant says Mommy (and Daddy, too, but this is about me!).

And yet now that Kyle has entered the stage of saying Mommy Mommy Mommy Mommy Mommy incessantly I consider asking Grant to wander toward that milestone at his own liesurely pace. I'm working with Kyle on getting our attention by saying Mommy or Daddy before he asks for or tells us something. He's doing great with this and it's helping lessen some frustration on all of our parts.

Unfortunately, he's expanded this to mean that he's supposed to get my attention before he says anything. So all the rambling gibberish that he says as we're driving down the road is now prefaced with "Mommy" and a pause. The word that brings me more joy and warmth than any other is also the word that sometimes makes me want to scream. Now, don't think I'm cold-hearted or not in touch with the wonders of childhood and all that. I'm not talking about hearing "Mommy" once every quarter of a mile. Try every 45th rotation of the tires.

About seven years ago, an acquaintance's three year old was on a streak of saying "Mommy" every 10 seconds or so and it was at it's most annoying in the car. She said she was thinking of changing her name to "Shit" and slap him for cussing. I have no idea if she told him that (I hope not) or if she just fantasized it, but it still makes me laugh.

But at the end of the day, I think of my friend whose son has autism. She told me how lucky she is that she's heard her son say "Mommy" since that is far more than many parents ever get. So as I find myself getting annoyed after hearing it 112 times before lunch, I'm going to remind myself how truly blessed I am to hear it at all.

Good night,
MJ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just think how excited you will
be when Kyle says Mom instead of
Mommy, that will be a real milestone.
Parenthood is a wonderful experience.
Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

Or when he says.. the dreaded "Oh Mother"... ha ha ha